Friday, October 17, 2008

Store Not Worth Buyin' From

Gamestop. We all know this. But yesterday I had an experience that I had to write you about because it not only shows how asinine these stores are, but it was also a minor victory for the consumer.

First a background. Gamestop likes for you to pre-order. Why? Because it guarantees them a sale in what is probably a shrinking market for them: NEW GAMES. They order a scant few per stores for the 8-10 people who are A)not aware of the internet and B)not aware of Best Buy. Who hasn't been hounded upon entering the store with WOULD YOU LIKE TO PRE-ORDER THE GAME!?!? YOU BETTER PRE-ORDER OR YOU WILL NEVER EVER HAVE THIS GAME, etc.

As a side note, they have no problem taking your money early, but BY GOD they will never sell you a game early. F*ckers.


So yeah....they are annoying. Normally I don't find myself in there, but I happened to have lunch at a Chinese place and I wanted to pick up DEAD SPACE this week. It was a convenience thing. So I asked the clerk for the game....he went to check and low and behold he had one. I said I would take the game and we proceeded to walk to the counter. Before going further into this tale, please keep in mind, I DID NOT go INTO the STORE to SHOP. I ENTERED THE ESTABLISHMENT TO PURCHASE.

We get to the counter and the manager (this term used lightly because she may have been 12 and part of a bring your daughter to work day) asked me if I pre-ordered it. I said no. She then ripped the box from my hand and said I could not have it. She then scolded the employee who helped me for having the audacity to get me what I asked for.

After shaking my head in disbelief, I politely said, "No problem, I will just go to Best Buy" to which the manager said " Yeah...good luck" very SNARKY. She was conveying that I had NO chance to get the game because I was not smart enough to allow the benevolence of the mighty Gamestop to hold a game for me. I was a sinner who did not pre-order.

So off I went to Best Buy. Walked in directly to the XBOX 360 section and low and behold...they had like 30 copies.

30 copies.

SOOOOO...i grabbed a copy and went over to a couple of Best Buy staffers who were there. I told them to pay attention to what I was about to do because they would get a kick out of it.

I called 411. Asked to be connected to the Gamestop I just left. The call was placed and thankfully the manager gal answered. The following conversation happened:

HER: "Thanks for calling Gamestop where you can trade in your old games for new, how can I help you?"

Me: "yeah...hi...I was just in there and wanted to buy Dead Space...but you only had pre-orders...remember...I said I was going to Best Buy?"

HER: "yes..."

ME: " well I just wanted to let you know that I am at Best Buy and they have like 30 copies...so if you piss off any other consumers today looking to spend money in your store you can send them over here"

At this point she either hung up or did an impression of a dial tone.


So, that is my tale. Never again will my body walk into a Gamestop. Never again will I even go to their website. They have a stupid system and hire stupid people. I urge you to join my boycott as well.

VIVA LA BEST BUY!!!

Also I got DEAD SPACE...full review coming, but so far the purchase has not upset me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*claps loudly*

Well done. Any store that doesn't understand that we are the customer, and in this economy we rule more so than ever deserves to go under, and go under in flames.

Unknown said...

You're a fucking dick, you know that right?

They're actually looking out for the people who did pre-order and you're being a dick about that?

Also, do you really think they give a shit about you buying the game at another store? They're just working there, why would they care?

Anonymous said...

Hey Wim, I fail to see how he's a dick. He's buying the game a full week after it's released, and yet the manager says he can't have it because he didn't preorder it? That's bullshit right there--Gamestop only holds preordered games for 48 hours anyways.

Watch your mouth before you think your argument through, troll.

ch3mical fusi0n said...

Good story. Gamestop is shit. They should burn in hell. I blame them for the state of the economy. But seriously, they fail.

Wim, you're a moron.

.andrew. said...

I third that wim is a moron.

I had a similar experience when I went to buy Fable 2. I walked in at 9:00 AM on release day. I hadn't pre-ordered the game, but I've generally always given Gamestop my business just because...well...just because. No particular reason...


Anyway, so I ask if they have Fable 2. They turd behind the counter gets this troubled look on his face. He turns around, opens a cabinet...which contains approximately 973 copies of Fable 2...flips thorough a couple as if searching for something...and then pulls one out. He turns around and then asks me if I pre-ordered it. I say 'No'. He then gets this annoyed look on his face and ALMOST makes to DENY ME of purchasing it. He says, "I'll do it this time, but you really should pre-order hot games like this.'

Why the F*CK would you want to make someone feel guilty for wanting to buy something from your store? So lame.

I'm with you. It's Best Buy for me.

CogsOfWar said...

Waiting for Dead Space review....*cough*