Monday, October 6, 2008

Dear Wii

Dear Wii,

I hate to have to tell you this in a letter, but we haven't been spending that much time together lately.

The fact is, I am breaking up with you. The magic is gone. The spark is gone. What was once a intuitive and innovative experience has become nothing more than a gimmick. When I first meet you, your motion controls were simply amazing. With Wii Sports and Play, we had the future of gaming shown to us. We were the hit of parties. Everyone wanted to go bowling with us. They way your remote and black bar captured even the most subtle movement was astounding. And playing Wii Sports made me want to spend more time with you...and you had so much to offer with the Virtual Console!! A walk down memory lane! You shared with me many of the games that led me to you. You were also a GameCube! You had an INTERNET browser! And you had WiFi out of the box! I could create my own avatar to interact with my friends online!

But I was so blinded by joy that I didn't see or care to see, your limitations. 512 KB on board memory? No way to access game data from the SD card slot? These are serious discrepancies. How is a serious gamer supposed to live with that? And I have to be honest and say your idea of "online" is flawed. After all the time we spent together and all the wonderful things you promised...you really didn't want me playing with other people online, did you? You made it so hard to find others like me, much less add them as a friend. You gave me a number too long to memorize, and no way of knowing who added my number to their Wii and vice versa. There is no Wii community. I can get other people's Miis....but I have no idea who the heck they are. Admit it, you wanted me for yourself.

There is also the matter of your parent, Nintendo. Why did Nintendo feel the need to tell me how to play my games. Honestly, I was ok with the controller. Face it, the best games for you are from Nintendo, and even those really don't utilize your remotes to the fullest potential. The Legend of Zelda feels like the motion controls were tacked on as an after thought. Super Mario Galaxy? GREAT GAME....but I can play it with a controller. Same goes for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The "new way" to play video games seems to have been forgotten by Nintendo. And the 3rd party games...well....the few that are good are simply ports from other systems. Why do you let them use you that way?

Now I am faced with another Holiday season without anything exciting from you. I have been hanging out with the Xbox 360 lately. Gears of War 2 looks pretty impressive. Little Big Planet on PS3 looks to be equally as such. You dont have anything to offer me.

So, I hope we can still be friends. I still want to hang out and play, but you have to give me a reason. Right now, I am afraid you are just lipstick on a pig.

1 comment:

Julie said...

But... but... Wario Land Shake It! It uses the controller properly!